Our office investigates complaints regarding Sanitary Nuisances as defined in Florida Statute 386.041. A nuisance injurious to health is generally defined as:
- Untreated or improperly treated human waste, garbage, offal, dead animals, or dangerous waste materials from manufacturing processes, air pollutants, gasses, and noisome odors which are harmful to human or animal life.
- Improperly built or maintained septic tanks, water closets, or privies.
- Keeping diseased animals dangerous to human health.
- Unclean or filthy places where animals are slaughtered.
- Any condition capable of breeding flies, mosquitoes, or other arthropods capable of transmitting diseases to humans.
- Any act or condition which may cause disease.
When a nuisance is found to exist, a sanitary nuisance notice is issued giving a reasonable time for correction, based on the severity of the condition, and if correction is not completed, legal action is taken.
If you have a concern about a possible sanitary nuisance please call our office at 941-624-7200.
Below are phone numbers of other agencies:
- Animal Control : (941) 833-5690
- Building Dept. : (941) 743-1201
- Code Enforcement (Zoning): (941) 743-1247
- Fish kill: Fish & Wildlife (800)320-3503; DEP Punta Gorda (941) 575-5810 or (239) 332-6975 (Fort Myers)
- DBPR (problems with restaurants or apartment complexes) 850-487-1395
- Drinking water Wells; permitting: (941) 743-1266; (239)344-5679
- Flood: (941)743-1964
- Hazardous Waste: (813)744-6100
- Landlord problems: (941)637-2281 or 505-9007
- Retention Ponds: (941)743-1247 or 764-4370 (Mosquito Control)
- Roads: (941) 575-3600
- Storm water: (941)575-3600