Septic Tank Abandonment
1100 Loveland Boulevard
Port Charlotte, FL 33980
Requirements of Chapter 64E-6.011 (Florida Administrative Code)
"Whenever the use of an onsite sewage treatment and disposal system is discontinued following connection to a sanitary sewer, following condemnation or demolition or removal or destruction of a building or property or discontinuing use of a septic tank and replacement with another septic tank, the system shall be abandoned within 90 days and any further use of the system for any purpose shall be prohibited.”
SEPTIC TANK ABANDONMENT MUST BE COMPLETED WITHIN 90 DAYS FOLLOWING CONNECTION TO PUBLIC SEWER.
Procedures for homeowners to abandon their system are as follows:
- STEP 1: Contact the utility’s customer service office for sewer connection permit and hookup requirements.
- STEP 2: Obtain an abandonment permit by completing an application. The cost of the permit is $100.00. The check for $100.00 along with the completed application can be mailed to us for processing and we will contact you by phone when it is ready for pick-up.
- STEP 3: Have the tank pumped out by a licensed septage hauler and post a copy of the receipt for this service along with the permit board in a protective plastic bag. The Environmental Health Specialist will collect the receipt at the time of the inspection.
- STEP 4: Crush or collapse the tank in a manner that will prevent the vessel from holding water, either by punching a hole in the bottom of the tank or collapsing its side walls. This work can only be done by the owner (if living in residence), a licensed septic installer, or a licensed plumbing contractor.
- STEP 5: Fill the remaining hole with clean sand or other suitable material to prevent a safety hazard, then grade and stake the tank site.
- STEP 6: After these procedures have ALLbeen completed, please call Environmental Health at 941-624-7200 X 7387 for an inspection or for more information.
* GREASE TRAPS WHEN USED WITH A COMMERCIAL SEPTIC SYSTEM WILL REMAIN PART OF THE BUILDING SEWAGE SYSTEM AND WILL NOT BE ABANDONED.
Connect with DOH